New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  04:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot imagine that this has not been gone over before, but if so I do not remember.
Why does the opening cartoon depiction of West show him dressed in traditional cowboy garb as opposed to what he wore every week?

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8376 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  06:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To reassure viewers that what they are going to see is really, really a western sort of, in case they had any doubts?

James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: It's a pleasure.
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  10:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the cartoon character looks more like Rory Calhoun, who they were considering for the part of Jim West, than it looks like Robert Conrad. Too tall for Bob.

Maybe the opening animation was done before they settled on Bob as the lead? If so, maybe it was slated to be more western in nature in earlier drafts. I'd have to check Sue Kesler's book.

"I abhor spirits, they make a man less than human" - Dr. Loveless, The Night That Terror Stalked the Town
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  03:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you find out I'd be interested.
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  08:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From reading Sue Kesler's book, I can't say definitely that the animation was done before Bob Conrad was hired, but it seems to indicate it was.

Bob says that Rory Calhoun was lined up to be Jim West but when CBS got a look at him they changed their minds and Bob was hired. When Bob got there the wardrobe was already made and since Rory was taller and larger than Bob it couldn't be used. It was also all or almost all western/cowboy clothes. This is when the wardrobe department took a look at Bob and decided to go with the flamenco jacket and matador look, which suited Bob just fine.

So, it looks to me like the animation was done when they thought Rory Calhoun was going to be Jim West. Or, the animation company (DePatie-Freleng) could have just gotten an order for the Wild Wild West and assumed it would be a cowboy type figure.

"I abhor spirits, they make a man less than human" - Dr. Loveless, The Night That Terror Stalked the Town
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  04:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could not wait to arrive at work Monday AM so I could add this little bit. How can somebody watch something for forty years without seeing what is right in front of them? Not wanting to sound dumb, and if this has been covered before I ask for forgiveness in advance, especially if it is assumed that EVERYBODY knows THAT, what the heck is up with you, did you just start watching the show?
As I was watching the opening Saturday night, and having always liked that the five distinct sections not only were of different sizes but that the painting 'did not stay in the lines' but slightly crossed over, I had one of those 'Oh my goodness' moments, with the blue being in the top left and the stripes covering the rest. It's an American flag!, done in a sort of Andy Warhol/Peter Max 1960's style.
Again, if this is well known I apologize, especially if it's been talked about before, but I had never noticed it until two days ago...after forty years of watching. Maybe I was always too busy watching the adversaries being done away with.
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  07:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't feel bad. I for one never noticed that, either.

Good catch.

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  19:21:47  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crazy, isn't it, Bornin? I noticed it after several dvd's into one of the seasons when I first bought them almost 10 years ago My kids may have even pointed it out to me. I'm thinking I brought it up to sordo because he is a painter, but I can't remember after all this time.

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000