50 Years On: Reviewing the Entire Series
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  15:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This week I got off my desk a years-long project. Listening to the La-La Land soundtracks—almost the only music I hear nowadays—has rejuvenated this old man just a smidge.

I'm opening this thread to sound interest among visitors to this site about our reviewing, as a group, the entire corpus of the original 104 shows. We'd begin with the pilot until the final episode. Taking my lead from other sites that have done something similar with the many Star Trek iterations, what I have in mind is taking an episode a week (maybe every two weeks), summarizing it for the benefit of newcomers to the series, considering each episode's quality according to some regular criteria, making a final judgment of its quality, then grading each episode on a scale of 1 to 5 stars.

I'm willing to initiate and moderate each week's conversation, then tally the final scores (averaging everyone's). I'm not willing to do all this by myself. I know what I think of each show and have no need to tell others. The idea is to get others on site to commit to this project once a week (give or take) to make a communal go of it. We could have fun.

The weekly pattern, considering the series' distinctive features, could go something like this. (Feel free to suggest other criteria.)

Hot Off the Wire (Episode Summary) (I could handle that.)
Shirtlessness for Bobby: self-explanatory.
Putty Noses for Ross (quality of disguises/characters assumed by Artie in an episode).
Roll Cameras, Call Ambulances: evaluating the fights scenes.
Allow Me to Present Myself: evaluating the guest villain.
Howdy, Miss: an episode's babe quotient.
Buried in Boot Heel: the quality of gadgets or gimmicks in an episode.
As My Great-Aunt Maude Used to Say: Best lines of dialogue from an episode.
The Wacko Factor: how outlandish is this episode's "weenie" (scriptwriter's slang for basic plot idea).
Honorable Mentions: what (if anything) sets a particular episode apart—script, acting, music,use of the train, whatever.
Miscellaneous trivia
Final assessments and scores

If at least ten of you out there will join me in this, I'm willing to give it a go, starting next month. Don't sign on unless you think you can commit and want to. I'll not be offended if you tell me it's a crummy or unfeasible idea. If we start in good faith but just can't maintain it, we'll strike camp and steal away into the sunset.

Cindylover1969
SS novice field agent

United Kingdom
1267 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  15:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Cindylover1969's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've fine with this!

"Make them both as uncomfortable as possible." - Marquis de la Mer, "The Night of the Watery Death"
Go to Top of Page

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8373 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  07:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like fun to me. No doubt some of us will have more to say about certain episodes than others, but I'm willing to add my one or two cents' worth.

James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: It's a pleasure.
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

Nydiva
SS novice field agent

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  10:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to participate, but be forewarned that I'm very likely to dwell on Artie! And the fight scenes never have been my thing.

Nydiva
www.ross-martin-remembered.com
Go to Top of Page

niecie
SS novice field agent

1224 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  15:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting! Not sure how much I can actually commit to, though.

Niecie

Ever since I was a little girl
I have always wished
that Artemus Gordon was
my very own Uncle Artie...
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  20:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this is embarrassing. I've been crawling around the site and guess what? If you find Colonel Richmond's section n WWW FAQs, Resources, and Links, you'll find that the regular visitors to this site did what I've proposed, or something a lot like it, over ten years ago. I was one of the participants but didn't remember it at all. Someone should come up with a fresh idea.

As for mine, in the immortal words of Miss Emily Litealla (the late Gilda Radner): "Never mind."
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

682 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  07:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, what the heck, if we didn't "redo" these episodes we wouldn't have a website at all. They aren't making new ones so we pretty much have to go over old ground. And, it has been ten years.

Let's give it a go.

"I abhor spirits, they make a man less than human" - Dr. Loveless, The Night That Terror Stalked the Town
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  09:06:24  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ccb

Well, this is embarrassing. I've been crawling around the site and guess what? If you find Colonel Richmond's section n WWW FAQs, Resources, and Links, you'll find that the regular visitors to this site did what I've proposed, or something a lot like it, over ten years ago. I was one of the participants but didn't remember it at all. Someone should come up with a fresh idea.

As for mine, in the immortal words of Miss Emily Litealla (the late Gilda Radner): "Never mind."

I wondered if you would remember that it had been done...but I think if you can get some of the newbies to give their opinion it would be fresh. And you might be fresh too, since you didn't recall the previous reviews. I could participate only sporadically, but it would be fun, especially having criteria to rate.

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000