Sue Kesler re-released her book!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8590 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  07:28:22  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2018 30th Anniversary edition of "The Wild Wild West, The Series" book by Susan E. Kesler is now available on Amazon.

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8450 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  07:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that's interesting. And will make some folks very happy! The paper version I presume?

James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
Artemus: It's a pleasure.
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

Nydiva
SS novice field agent

USA
572 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  09:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just be sure to be very specific with the search terms. You must type in Wild Wild West The Series Susan E Kesler or else you will only find copies of the original edition. (If the picture shows autographed ages, that's the wrong edition)

The new one is supposed to have more color pictures.
Go to Top of Page

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8450 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  14:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if she had the digital version printed. Or was the print copy that was released at the same time as the digital version in color too?

Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8450 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  14:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just discovered if you search on Amazon for "Kesler" and select "Books" from the categories, it takes you right to the newest edition.

- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

503 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  13:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting this.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3804 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2018 :  21:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads-up. Has anyone actually seen this book: held it in your hands? Are the contents substantively different from, or an improvement on, the first edition?
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8590 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  19:39:06  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Diva has it. It is in color...Sue says it is an upgrade from the 1980's version.

~Apple~
Go to Top of Page

Nydiva
SS novice field agent

USA
572 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  15:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to be so long in posting this. I usually do most of my net over my smart phone these days, so I had to break out the old pc for this!

Anyway...

Well, I got the book and did a (more or less) section by section comparison this afternoon.

There's no doubt that this book is an essential for any true fan. It's the "Kesler Bible" after all, and original edition prices are way too inflated.

The new layout is crisper and neater in appearance. Photos and highlighted sections are nicely set off in borders. The print is slightly smaller, but not by much. The pages are slightly larger in size, which results in perhaps a bit too much (wasted) white space.

There are some nice photo additions, including pictures from a convention held at the time of the original publication. Also, in listing Artie's disguises, there are now (very, very small) photos illustrating each one.

However, though the added photos are fairly numerous and most welcome, many of them (most, actually) are too small and too dark. The blueprints shown are too small as well. I can't make out detail or read the lettering. Plus some of the black and white photos are grainier than in the first edition.

Though they finally have Artie spelled correctly throughout #129315;, there are errors remaining. I guess Pat Hingle (who was in the running for the Artemus role) is destined to remain Pat Hinkle in The Wild Wild West. An interesting side note - Mr Hingle's given name was Martin Patterson Hingle; so someone named Martin was always destined to be Artie!! #128513;

And a personal quibble for me is that the photo used to illustrate the Big Blast was of Ida Lupino and not Ross. Since that's generally known as Artie's episode, I wasn't happy with that change.

Overall, though it's very nice to have more color photos, I prefer the selections and quality of photos from the original.

If you don't have the original edition, by all means this new one is definitely well worth it. The two together are an unbeatable combination.

Nydiva
www.ross-martin-remembered.com
Go to Top of Page

Nydiva
SS novice field agent

USA
572 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  18:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nydiva

Sorry to be so long in posting this. I usually do most of my net stuff over my smart phone these days, so I had to break out the old pc for this!

Anyway...

Well, I got the book and did a (more or less) section by section comparison.

There's no doubt that this book is an essential for any true fan. It's the "Kesler Bible" after all, and original edition prices are way too inflated.

The new layout is crisper and neater in appearance. Photos and highlighted sections are nicely set off in borders. The print is slightly smaller, but not by much. The pages are slightly larger in size, which results in perhaps a bit too much (wasted) white space.

There are some nice photo additions, including pictures from a convention held at the time of the original publication. Also, in listing Artie's disguises, there are now (very, very small) photos illustrating each one.

However, though the added photos are fairly numerous and most welcome, many of them (most, actually) are too small and too dark. The blueprints shown are too small as well. I can't make out detail or read the lettering. Plus some of the black and white photos are grainier than in the first edition.

Though they finally have Artie spelled correctly throughout, there are errors remaining. I guess Pat Hingle (who was in the running for the Artemus role) is destined to remain Pat Hinkle in The Wild Wild West. An interesting side note - Mr Hingle's given name was Martin Patterson Hingle; so someone named Martin was always destined to be Artie!!

And a personal quibble for me is that the photo used to illustrate the Big Blast was of Ida Lupino and not Ross. Since that's generally known as Artie's episode, I wasn't happy with that change.

Overall, though it's very nice to have more color photos, I prefer the selections and quality of photos from the original.

If you don't have the original edition, by all means this new one is definitely well worth it. The two together are an unbeatable combination.

Nydiva
Go to Top of Page

Shenandoah
Secret Service recruit

1 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  18:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the heads up on the new release! I immediately ordered it on Amazon. I have the original 1988 book autographed by Sue Kessler and the new one will make a good companion to it.
Go to Top of Page

stephen_pomes
Secret Service recruit

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  09:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is great news. I read the book back in the 1990s -- courtesy of my local public library and interlibrary loan. Later I bought a copy of the ebook on a CD. I'm looking forward to buying a hard copy of the book, as it's definitely the "Bible" of WWW fans!

Steve
Go to Top of Page

stephen_pomes
Secret Service recruit

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  07:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My copy of the book arrived yesterday. I didn't get home until late last night, so I only had few minutes to skim through the book.

I'm looking forward to reading the book in full. I own the e-book that Susan Kesler published on a CD, but I've always wanted to own a hard copy of the book. As I recall, Ms. Kesler did a thorough job of researching and writing the book, so I'm sure that the writing and research will not disappoint me.

My only complaint with the book is that it appears to be a print-on-demand title. Over the last few years, I've purchased a few of print-on-demand books, and the quality of the printed illustrations -- especially color illustrations -- tends to suffer in these books. Black and white photos and illustrations tend not to suffer as much in these books. I understand that this option is more economical for publishers -- especially for smaller, independent publishers who don't want to tie up a lot of money in large print runs of their books. That being said, my experience, as a reader, is that publishers often use laser printers for print-on-demand titles. It appears that this new edition of the Kesler book was done this way. I'm not sure that I'm describing this as precisely as I would like, but the color illustrations seem a bit "off" in their appearance. The choice of paper may be a contributing factor to this "home-made" appearance.

I recall that the earlier edition's photographs had a "crisper" appearance. In the earlier edition's photos, the color values matched up better with what I recall seeing on TV.

Enough negativity, however. I do look forward to reading and enjoying the book. This book will have a welcome place in my movie and TV bookshelf, and I know that I'll be relying on it for years to come as THE reference source on all matters related to my most favorite of all TV series.

Steve

Go to Top of Page

Nydiva
SS novice field agent

USA
572 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  07:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The quality of printing, especially when it came to the photos, was one of my points. It's definitely an on-demand job.

But for those who don't have the first edition, it's certainly well worthwhile.

Nydiva
Go to Top of Page

stephen_pomes
Secret Service recruit

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  08:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought my copy from Amazon, and I have no regrets. I've always been a fan of the series, so buying a copy of the book has always been a must!

The comments posted on Amazon's site were generally favorable. One person acknowledged the book's importance as a reference work for the series but included negative comments on the printing quality.

Jude Bradley, the editor, responded to the the review. My views about the book's printing issues softened after reading this response.

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-West-Susan-Kesler/product-reviews/1984030434/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=critical&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8590 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  14:50:30  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought this book last week, when the price dropped to $21 and change. I had a $7 and change credit on my card, so the price was a little over $15. Well worth it! I also purchased the signature insert that Sue and Jude signed, and will be sending it to RC asap for him to sign. *Can't believe I was at the post office and didn't do that today!*

~Apple~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000