THE NIGHT OF THE

SABATINI ISLAND


by  Kristin C. Sabo



The Night of the Sabatini Island copyright © K. Sabo
 
 
Absolutely no reprint or use of this material, partial or otherwise, without
the prior written consent of K. Sabo & ThirdSide.com - WildWildWest.org

     ABOUT THE AUTHOR




 
 
 
THE NIGHT OF THE

SABATINI ISLAND
ACTION/ADVENTURE - DRAMA
FOUR-ACT SCRIPT
APPROX. 50 pps (monotype 12-point)
 
GENERAL AUDIENCES

 

TEASER

FADE IN

EXT -- EST. SMALL STEAM LAUNCH ON OPEN SEA -- STORMY NIGHT

A small steam-powered launch carries six men through extremely stormy weather toward their night-obscured destination. The storm is so severe that their safety is in serious doubt.

 

CLOSE ON LAUNCH OCCUPANTS -- WEST, BROWN, PILOT, ETC.

James WEST draws his cloak more tightly about him as the wind threatens to tear it from him. Ned BROWN braces himself against the boiler as the waves shake the launch. The other three men hold their hats and size one another up -- as if in competition for something.

West breaks the verbal silence, shouting to be heard above the wind.

WEST
(loudly to pilot)
How much longer?

PILOT
(nervous)
We'll hit land in about five minutes, assumin' we stay upright.

Brown leans over to West.

BROWN
(frowning)
I think I'm sea-sick... [BEAT] Is this little gem really worth the risk of becoming fish bait?

WEST
That's what we get paid for, Ned.

BROWN
(unhappily)
No, that's what you and Artemus get paid for. I'm just a chemist.

WEST
No one made you take this case.

BROWN
The Colonel suckered me in. He knows I can't swim. [BEAT] When is Artemus supposed to be back from Washington?

West smiles to himself.

BROWN (CONT'D)
I *hate* boats.

Brown is NOT happy.

 

ANOTHER ANGLE

The other three passengers look at one another, and then at the two agents.

THURSTON
(conspiratorially)
We can't figure out what you two are doing here.

BROWN
Trying to cross the channel in one piece, same as you, Mr --

THURSTON
Thurston. Mr. Hecuba's business partner -- well, at least in life we were partners...

Thurston indicates the young man (GILLIG) next to him.

THURSTON (CONT'D)
This young buck is William Gillig, Hecuba's nephew.

Thurston now indicates HINKLEY.

THURSTON (CONT'D)
And that man with the face of a vulture is Hecuba's lawyer, come to pick the bones of the carcass.

Hinkley ignores Thurston's comment and holds his hand out to Brown.

HINKLEY
Mordecai Hinkley, at your service.

The two shake hands. Pilot spots a signal and guides the launch toward it during the following exchange.

THURSTON
(snidely)
We know why *we're* here. You two aren't related to old man Hecuba, so why are you here?

WEST
(all business)
Mr. Hecuba informed the United States Government last month of his intention to will the Moon Diamond to the National Museum. Mr. Brown and myself are here to escort it to Washington.

Thurston laughs sadistically.

THURSTON
The joke's on you, then --

WEST
West.

THURSTON
Mr. West, and you, Brown. The Moon Diamond is part of the Sabatini Treasure. A legend on Sabatini Island. No one's ever actually seen it.

WEST
(unphased)
I'll wait until the reading of the will before jumping to conclusions about the existence of the diamond, Mr. Thurston.

THURSTON
Suit yourself, but you an' Uncle Sam are in for one heck of a disappointment.

 

LAUNCH APPROACHING DOCK

The launch pitches violently as it reaches the dock. All aboard scramble to hold the launch near the dock as it bucks wildly in the surf.

 

ON DOCK

All the passengers disembark except the pilot. The wind is howling even louder now. Ned Brown stops on the dock, turns.

BROWN
(to pilot)
Aren't you coming ashore?

PILOT
(vehemently)
Not with that devil runnin' loose. I'll wait down here for ya'…

WEST
What devil?

The unearthly SOUND of a braying hound reaches the dock on the wind....

PILOT
(shaking hard)
Hecuba's devil- the Hound of Sabatini Island.

West and Brown exchange glances of disbelief as we....

GO TO CREDITS

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN

INT -- ESTABLISH THE MANSION -- NIGHT

Thurston, Gillig, Hinkley, West, and Brown enter the Hecuba mansion with a gust of wind, which blows out half the candle illumination in the already somber house. GRUMBY, the manservant, fights to shut the main doors and then takes everyone's garments. The bray of the hound continues...

ANGLE ON STAIRWELL -- LOVIA

LOVIA Wentworth majestically descends the stairs, followed by her husband, HOWELL Wentworth. All eyes are drawn to this entrance.

LOVIA
(gracious, but dark)
Welcome to Sabatini Island, gentlemen. I trust your journey wasn't too difficult.

THURSTON
(touch of sarcasm)
Lovia. One of the easier crossings.

(to West, Brown)
Let me introduce Mrs. Lovia Wentworth, sister of the late lamented Harold Hecuba, and frontrunner for all his worldly possessions. [BEAT] Oh. I almost forgot. Her husband, Howell.

(back to Lovia)
Lovia, Mr. West and Mr. Brown- representing the United States Government.

 

ANGLE FEATURING WEST AND BROWN

West, Brown acknowledge Lovia's gracious look.

 

PAN ROOM

A young woman (ANN Summers) is playing piano in the other room, Gillig goes to her while Hinkley pours himself a brandy and takes a seat on the couch. Another woman (HELEN Grant) enters from behind West and Brown, unnoticed. Grumby leaves with the garments.

LOVIA
A pleasure, gentlemen.

(indicates living room, piano)
The young woman who seems to have captured our William's unwavering admiration is Ann Summers, my late brother's ward.

(to Helen, with authority)
Why don't you show our guests to their quarters, Helen? A chance to dry out would most likely be appreciated after their harrowing journey.

West and Brown finally notice Helen, who nods curtly at Lovia -- no love lost between these two, for sure.

Helen starts to lead the way upstairs when West hesitates.

WEST
Are your pets always this vocal at night, Mrs. Wentworth?

LOVIA
(coldly)
Neither Mr. Hecuba nor myself has ever kept hounds, Mr. West. There hasn't been a dog on Sabatini Island for thirty years. [BEAT] Now, if you will excuse me...

Lovia finishes descending the last few stairs and enters the living room, followed by her SO. The ethereal braying continues as West and Brown follow Helen up the stairs and OS.

 

ON LIVING ROOM

THURSTON
(looking up from his drink)
How long has that godawful hound been here?

LOVIA
It started the day after Harold's death, Howard.

(glances around room knowingly)
If I didn't know you all so very well, I'd swear someone was trying to frighten us out of our inheritance. [BEAT] Not to worry, the mystery of the hound's origin will soon be sorted out.

No answers. Hinkley downs his drink in one shot, Thurston takes a seat.

LOVIA (CONT'D)
(to Ann, drawn-out sarcasm)
Oh Ann dear- please do play that again. It so brightens this gloomy atmosphere.

Glances exchanged again show there is no love lost between Ann and Lovia.

ANN
Yes Aunt Lovia.

Ann commences to play an overly-cheerful TUNE.

 

INT -- THE CORRIDOR -- DIM LIGHT

Helen shows Brown his room, West is waiting in the hall. Brown enters, closes the door, and West and Helen continue down the hall. Brown's door opens a crack, he peaks out, then sneaks out and back the way they just came.

 

INT -- FANCY BEDROOM -- DIM LIGHT

West and Helen entering his room, she closes the door behind them, nervousness written on her features.

WEST
(notices Helen's expression)
What can I do for you, Miss Grant?

HELEN
It's that obvious, is it? [BEAT] Quite honestly, Mr. West, I wish to enlist your help.

WEST
I'm afraid Mr. Brown and myself already have our hands full with the Moon Diamond, Miss Grant.

HELEN
Ah yes, but this is a matter of life and death. [BEAT] They're trying to kill me, Mr. West.

WEST
Who exactly?

HELEN
(turning away)
Lovia, and that sniveling little man she calls a husband. Those two lived like royalty, leeching their existence off of Mr. Hecuba as they did. Now that he's gone, his fondness for me will surely be reflected in his will. They won't take the chance of losing everything.

WEST
And you think this is what brought the hound to Sabatini Island?

HELEN
It *has* to be. That legend was just something Harold made up to keep intruders from looking for the Sabatini Treasure. There's no truth in it.

WEST
Until now.

HELEN
(turns to face West)
I'm asking for your protection, Mr. West.

WEST
Our assignment has to come first, Miss Grant. But the presence of that hound may represent a threat to the Moon Diamond and bears looking into.

HELEN
(seems relieved, starts to exit)
Thank you.... and be careful. Lovia plays for keeps, Mr. West.

WEST
So does the Government, Miss Grant.

Helen exits.

 

INT -- THE CORRIDOR -- LATER

West exits his room, and runs into Brown returning from his look-about.

WEST
Anything from the servant?

BROWN
Grumby? No, nothing out of the ordinary, Jim. He hasn't a clue how that hound got on the island.

WEST
I get the impression some of the players here have formed a little alliance...

BROWN
Which ones?

WEST
Not sure, but the will reading should shed some light on the conspirators.

BROWN
Time to see the light then, eh?

West and Brown head back down the hall toward the stairs.

 

INT -- LIVING ROOM

Hinkley sits at a desk with a bunch of official-looking documents. Already present are Ann and Gillig, Lovia and Howell, Thurston nurses a drink as West and Brown descend the stairs and enter the room.

Lovia takes a quick head count.

HINKLEY
Is everyone present?

LOVIA
Not quite, Mordecai.

(annoyed)
It's just like Helen to delay the proceedings....

(raising her voice)
Grumby! Grumby- find Miss Grant immediately.

Grumby enters the room at Lovia's summons, then stares at her for a long moment, finally toppling over -- dead as a doornail. West is there immediately, Brown right behind him, but can find no obvious signs of violence. Helen enters from another door to the rear of the confusion... All are on their feet in shock.

LOVIA
Mr. West?

West's expression is her answer.

Suddenly the lights go out. The front doors blow open violently in the wind, SMACK, and two evil glowing eyes are seen in the silhouetted opening -- at large-dog height. Sinister GROWLING of the canine kind is heard. GASPS and CRIES of 'oh no!', 'the hound!' go up from the occupants.

A gunshot goes off, then the lights come up to find West and Brown on the porch, West has his derringer drawn, and there's no sign of the phantom.

 

EXT -- PORCH -- STORMY NIGHT

Brown examines the ground around the porch carefully, West scans the area. The wind HOWLS.

 

ANOTHER ANGLE

BROWN
(shouting above the wind)
No prints, Jim!

WEST
(still scanning, yelling over the din)
This wind may have already erased them...

A large, sleek, black, and sinister canine form is seen briefly in the bushes, and West's off after it, derringer at the ready.

 

EXT -- WILDS OF SABATINI ISLAND/GAZEBO GATE -- NIGHT

West races through the bushes and is quickly out of sight of the house, and the sleek black form. He slows to a walk and begins investigating the area, wind threatening to knock him off his feet...

...and comes upon a large, enclosed gazebo, the door BANGS loudly in the violent wind.

West takes a quick look about, and goes in.

 

INT -- GAZEBO -- NIGHT

Flowers decorate the gazebo, as well as various large crates- and the light is poor. West cautiously investigates the gazebo, when FOUR GUNSELS in black hoods jump him.

ONE-MINUTE FIGHT SCENE, WEST AND FOUR GUNSELS. WEST VICTORIOUS. GAZEBO TRASHED ACCORDINGLY.

As West vanquishes the last gunsel, a HAND holding an ornate dagger is raised over his back, ready to deliver the coup de grace. Freeze on hand, and....

FADE TO CLIFFHANGER

 


END ACT ONE

 

 

GO TO ACT TWO

 
 

Fiction Main W2-L Main questions? top